Friday, August 2, 2013

pretty papers, pretty ribbons

So I do have a Hawthorn to show you all, but it'll have to wait for the weekend as it's in the wash at the moment.

Instead, I found a kind of awesome fabric deal I want to share in case any of you are interested in brightly patterned Marc Jacobs silk/cotton twill.

images: fabric mart, bluefly, bloomingdale's, barney

I bought a few yards of the black fabric (Bluefly calls it deep navy; ça marche) quite awhile ago because I recognized it from Ms. Rashida Jones' Parks & Rec wardrobe. Apparently, it also briefly appeared on Gossip Girl.

A week ago, I was searching for an image of the fabric online so I could add it to Evernote (kind of a brilliant way to keep track of fabric stash, by the way -- and yes, I'm too lazy to just take a picture of my fabric without checking to see if one is already available) and I found one on FFC. Both the black/navy and the red-orange print are available! Black is 5.75/yd and orange is on sale for 3.95/yd -- they were both on sale a week ago when I, um, bought a few yards of each.

Here's the thing: they're calling it rayon challis. So when I ordered, I had no idea whether the fabrics were the silk/cotton twill I hoped for, or if they really were rayon challis. I think $4-5/yd is an average price for rayon challis, but pretty great for designer silk/cotton twill so I took the risk. You know, for science.

The fabric arrived yesterday, and guess what, guys? It is silk cotton twill! Or at least definitely twill, and most likely a silk/cotton blend since a. it just feels like it and b. I've only seen this print available in the form of silk/cotton dresses and blouses (well, and silk organza, which this definitely isn't). I'm not a chemist, but I'm satisfied.

So buy some for cheap if you want! Or don't -- maybe you hate ribbons and garish prints? I don't know, but I wanted to put it out there.

(It goes without saying that these aren't sponsored links or anything, right? I don't usually order from this particular merchant because they're pretty haphazard when it comes to labeling. Case in point? But this time, I went for it because I love the print and I was pleasantly surprised rather than bitterly disappointed by online fabric shopping!)

12 comments:

  1. This post was kind of an emotional rollercoaster for me. 1. AHMAHGAH! Meredith posted! 2. What do you mean, no Hawthorn?! 3. Oh, that fabric is preeeetty. 4. NOW? It is for sale now?! 5. Challis, really? Charlotte don't want no challis. 6. Victory!

    I, uh, bought five yards of the orange. Then bought six other yards of fabric. For science. Will be back for the black when it returns to saledom.

    You do enable, Meredith.

    P.S. I went back to Chic and bought that oyster and orange silk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I knew I should've spared your nerves and posted briefly: "orange and black silk/cotton on sale here, end scene," but it was an anxious week for me, too!

      Ah, I keep touching the oyster & orange silk -- it makes me happy every time I see it in the closet. Still not sure what to do with it, but I think you made a wise decision!

      Delete
    2. It is gorgeous, the oyster and orange. However! I only nabbed two-and-a-half yards of it, and now I'm thinking it would make a super cute kimono-sleeve robe. Who knew that robes were such fabric eaters? (Everyone but me, apparently.)

      Delete
    3. Oh no, it would be such a great kimono robe -- now I want one, too! Of course, I also bought only two and half yards of it. It's got to be the attached sleeve thing that eats up so much fabric, especially narrow fabric. I'm leaning towards something like the Sencha blouse, maybe... but with a different (lower) neckline. And probably no back buttons, because I don't really want to make shifty-silk buttonholes!

      Delete
  2. Oh crap, I accidentally just bought 5 yards of the orange, too... whoops... then I came back and read the rest of this post! Wowzers!

    Anyway, I'm excited to see your Hawthorn because I bet it's going to look mega-cute on you!

    Oh, and are you coming out next Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love accidentally buying fabric, haha. But it's so narrow that 5 yards makes perfect sense, really. It's bold & fun and I bet you'll make something fantastic!

      I think I'll go for museum and fabric shopping -- not sure about the flea market yet. See you there!

      Delete
    2. I won't make it to the flea market, either... I (and my ADD) can't handle marathon shopping days!

      Delete
  3. That's such a pretty fabric and the price is great! Is the mislabeling issue common with FFC? I don't buy from there anyway as the international shipping is too much but I am sometimes tempted by the prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been burned a couple of times on their fabric quality, but they do have a lot of great deals so I end up ordering anyway sometimes. (I also hate paying for shipping so I usually restrict myself to the somewhat rare free shipping deals or otherwise amazing sales.) I've gotten some great fabrics -- this ribbon print and a wonderful lightweight denim which has been my favorite denim ever and I wish I'd ordered more! -- but there have been some seriously disappointing purchases, too. (Though to be fair, I think that's true of a lot of online merchants.) So I try not to order much unless I know what I'm getting (e.g. I was pretty confident about this ribbon print) or if I'm willing to use it for fit-testing new patterns. And since I do like having a variety of cheap fabrics for testing, it works out okay. But I definitely wouldn't pay international shipping!

      Delete
  4. We should get together again sometime in the New Year! I want to sew a bunch of underwear from less than traditional fabrics - like woven silk - and that means a Mood trip! FIT also has a new exhibit called "Trend-ology".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, woven silk undies sound luxe and wonderful... maybe I need some of those, too. :) And of course I'd love to go to FIT and Mood with you sometime in January!

      Delete
    2. Also, one of my best friends was inspired to elope after hearing your "wedding" plans!

      Delete