Sunday, May 5, 2013

MMM'13 - week one

A quick Me-Made-May round-up. I did succeed in wearing 3 garments, but two of them are possibly stretching the spirit of MMM a bit, because... well, you'll see.


First, on Wednesday or Thursday I wore my Simplicity 1696 jeans. I made them awhile ago, and have worn them a few times... but this week was my last. The pattern actually worked really well for me, but the stretch denim is awful. They look great for the first five minutes out of the dryer, but they get sloppier and sloppier as the day goes on until they're practically falling off me. Of course, I found this Sandra Betzina tip to prevent excessive stretching shortly after I made them -- I'll remember it for next time! I hate to wear this pair just because I made them, so in the spirit of love it or leave it: they're gone!

And now for Friday night's look:


Yes, it's lounge wear. (I didn't quite relish the idea of releasing pictures of me in my skivvies on the internet.) I knit the lace-edged camisole from a Jennie Atkinson book mostly out of grey cashmere yarn from Colourmart, and it is super soft & cozy. The silk crepe undies are kind of a hybrid of a 1940s lingerie pattern and a draft-your-own elasticized tap pant pattern I once had bookmarked. They're cut on the bias so they're quite glamorous... at least, they were until I added the bright blue fold-over elastic! Sometimes I wear them under dresses, and sometime I just like to lounge around my house, feeling luxurious. (Okay, so maybe that's most of the time!)

9 comments:

  1. I so feel you on fabrics that stretch way out, but that tip is BRILLIANT! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Also, cute skivvies! That color is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knit camisole is divine! You must be a really good knitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, you're too kind! Knitting is nice because you can always unravel and fix mistakes, unlike many parts of sewing.

      Delete
    2. True! How long did it take you to knit it?
      I would love to meet up with you at the Met! I didn't really get to talk with you at the last one :) I'm not sure exactly what time I'll be getting to the city yet, but I'm free until 5ish. Is there a window of time that would be best for you?

      Delete
    3. Almost everything I knit takes at least a few months. (Even when it shouldn't -- I have severe finishing-procrastination, haha.)
      My time is pretty flexible on Saturday, so any time after noonish works for me to go to the Met!

      Delete
    4. Me too! We should start emailing this stuff... taponmyback@cox.net

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing that tip-- I've never made anything with stretch denim because I always hear about how it bags and sags throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, stretch denim is kind of awful -- but I'm going to give that method a try, since I still have some left over.

      Delete