Tuesday, April 30, 2013

lacy laurel


I had envisioned knocking out 3 or 4 Laurel dresses by the end of April, but I got sidetracked into the exhilarating realm of swimwear. (Did you know it's possible to make a bathing suit in two hours? Magic! But more on that later.)

So now it's the end of April and I ended up with only two Laurels: a sleeveless blouse, which is somewhere in my laundry bin, and a dress. A sort of sixties, scalloped-hem lace shift!


Underlining: what a drag, right? I mean, it's not really that bad... I'm just impatient, and both fabrics were a little shifty. (The lace is a Maggy London cotton/rayon blend, and the underlining is a pale yellow satin-faced rayon.) But I only underlined the body of the dress, and I basted my darts carefully... it went together pretty well, if slowly.

I did have a little hiccup with the fit -- in fact, I almost chucked this dress at one point. For some reason, even though I tested the fit with the blouse, the dress was about 6 inches too large all around. I didn't take any photos, but if you can imagine a lace potato sack then you're not far off. But I did not want to give up after all that underlining, so I proceeded to skim in an inch and a half from both side seams. And now that it's finished, I'm glad I persevered!



It's not exactly work appropriate... at least not for my work, which can get a little dirty. But I think it will be perfect for summer parties because it is such a breezy style! And it looks great over tights, so I suspect it might become my easy holiday party dress, too.


I love the hem -- and my sweet little dog, too.
Also, I think it's high time to participate in a Me-Made-May, so here goes:  'I pledge to wear at least 3 handmade garments each week for the duration of May 2013. I will also endeavor to post my efforts once  a week, and I aim to make two garments before the end of May 2013'

My other goal, which sort of relies on attempting MMM'13, is to find the holes in my closet as well as to ferret out the things I never wear. (I've been doing a little of it here and there since moving and losing a LOT of closet space, but I want to really REALLY do it now. So MMM is the push I need to get the wardrobe I need.) So here goes!


10 comments:

  1. Yay! I look forward to your MMM posts. I'm really impressed. My own venture into Lace + a Collette pattern ended disappointingly. Yours, however, looks gorgeous! And you have a very cute doggy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a struggle but I'm glad the pattern is such a simple shape. (I can't imagine doing too many lace seams!) And the dog is a real ham -- she likes to be involved whenever the camera comes out.

      Delete
  2. Cute! It's so very late-60s in vibe and fantastic. I cannot detect a single dart. Did you carefully baste your Susan Khalje-method darts (overlapping the lace in a way that still confounds me) or did you only do darts on the underlining? Either way, your finish looks flawless.

    Also, your dog appears to be raising her eyebrows at us. Quite the skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually stitched the darts normally most of the way, but didn't grab the lace layer at the tapered points because they ended in a spot where the lace was mostly just hole. (An unplanned, but nice, sewing surprise!) So they disappear towards the end, but they are visible closer to the seam -- that part just isn't visible from the angle of the photo. But the lace is pretty busy, so it helps disguise it. I'm still confounded by the overlapping method, too.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great dress! This looks awesome on you-- glad you got the fit corrected! I went down a size through the hips after I muslined as I felt like I was swimming in fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's no dinosaur dress, but there's always ebay... :)

      Delete
  4. It looks great! The lace is mod and classy. The yellow is a beautiful fresh color, and I love rayon. I've just made my first shift dress (not the Laurel though) and I'm really digging the silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just checked out yours, and I LOOOVE the orange/violet combination!

      Delete
  5. I like this a lot - very cute. And funny that you got sidetracked by swimwear. Bekah keeps asking me to try making swimwear (for her benefit, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swimwear is surprisingly easy - go for it! (But make some for you, too, haha)

      Delete