Wednesday, March 27, 2013

little red corvette

Rather than work on any of my planned spring/summer wardrobe projects, I settled in for a little instant gratification project this weekend.

Burda 8155 is the kind of skirt you can wear pretty much anywhere at any time. (Really more like a sensible Toyota -- but people don't write songs about Corollas, do they?) And it is super quick: I cut into the fabric Saturday afternoon, and stitched the whole thing together Sunday evening.

I used a red wool gabardine for the skirt (squeezed from the leftovers from a failed pair of pants) and some silkyish rayon for the lining. I'm glad I added a lining -- it really contributes a lot in the way of comfort, plus it's quite cheerful! I also added a vent, because it seemed like a better idea than the suggested back slit. I didn't love either of the Burda waistband options, either. The taller curved option looks pretty & interesting, but I know from experience that those kinds of things always crumple and collapse on me no matter how much interfacing I use. The other option was a rectangular waistband piece, which I don't find terribly comfortable. Instead, I drafted a curved waistband à la this Colette tutorial. 

I did make one glaring mistake.... Somehow, I managed to accidentally cut the front skirt piece into two pieces and the back skirt piece on the fold. I was so pleased that I'd remembered to add a little extension for a vent on the back pattern piece that I didn't notice I was actually holding the front! Since I only had a smallish piece of the fabric I couldn't re-cut another front, so I had to roll with it. At least I noticed before I stitched the darts, so I was able to adjust them appropriately. The fit is a little weird, but not awful.
I'm only sharing the 2nd photo because: wtf where is my leg??
All in all, I'm very pleased with my new red skirt! I wore it to work today with a striped sweater (a warm & cozy wool/cashmere blend found on Sunday afternoon at Beacon's Closet for only $11!) but I can't wait until the weather is warm enough to pair it with a boatload of tiny pocket tanks!

6 comments:

  1. It's so cute! Excellent recovery with the cutting business. I couldn't even tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was kind of a warm-up for the fuzzy wool Jason Wu pencil skirt! (Do you find yourself petting yours? Haha, because I do....)

      Delete
  2. Look at you adding vents and lining, tweaking the waistband, and changing up the construction (which is how I will rephrase the cutting accident)! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, "changing the construction" -- definitely what I was going for, haha.

      Delete
  3. So cute! Love that lining fabric, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was meant for a blouse, but it ended up too thin & sheer (not in a good way). But it makes a great lining!

      Delete